What does mean LOSSY indication

Historical record of a forum that was for discussion of the setup, configuration, and use of OnePacs for research and educational purposes (non-clinical use).

Please direct any support inquiries through the standard OnePacs ticketing and support system.

The "Announcements" forum will continue to be active and contain announcements related to the OnePacs system.
hilario

What does mean LOSSY indication

Post by hilario » Thu May 14, 2009 7:55 am

I think this is related with the compression JPEG 2000 but I want to understand fully what it means, and why it is indicated if everything is compressed.

justin

Re: What does mean LOSSY indication

Post by justin » Tue May 19, 2009 8:54 am

Hilario,

By default the OnePacs Gateway compresses images using 10:1 JPEG2000 lossy (irreversible) compression. With lossless compression we typically only see about 3:1. The main benefit of lossy compression is faster transmission times because of the smaller file size. Also, there is no perceivable difference in image quality at a reasonable level of compression for most modality types. See http://www.springerlink.com/content/u5r85r66341318w1/ for more information.

Also, if you are using OnePacs as an archive, or have other circumstances that require lossless compression, we can configure your account to use only lossless compression.

Thanks,

Justin

hilario

Post by hilario » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 am

Is it possible to configure different compression for each type of study?
What do you suggest if the majority of our work are CT and MR but we have a 5% of mamografies? Any way to mix the best of both tools?
Is the configuration done at a Gateway level or is it at your Side level?
Thanks

justin

Post by justin » Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 am

Hilario,

By default, the Gateway uses lossless compression for Mammography and lossy for everything else. Is this sufficient?

Thanks,

Justin

hilario

Post by hilario » Wed May 27, 2009 12:23 pm

That means we don't have anything to modify then, if just mamographie as to be lossless.
There are other studies like "densitometries" (I think this is how they are called). where we also need lossless.
Would it be possible to configure it as lossless?

justin

Post by justin » Wed May 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Hilario,

I'm not sure I know what "densitometries" are, but if they can be identified by either modality type (ex. MG, CT, MR) or sop class uid then we will be able to configure the gateway to use lossless compression. Let me know via email and I will set this up for your account.

Thanks,

Justin