Java dictation workflow for OS X

Historical record of a forum that was for discussion of the setup, configuration, and use of OnePacs for research and educational purposes (non-clinical use).

Please direct any support inquiries through the standard OnePacs ticketing and support system.

The "Announcements" forum will continue to be active and contain announcements related to the OnePacs system.
trencus

Java dictation workflow for OS X

Post by trencus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 am

Does the Java dictation workflow work for Mac OS X? If so, do you know what versions of Java and OS X are required?

Dr Rencus

justin

Re: Java dictation workflow for OS X

Post by justin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Dr. Rencus,

Yes, the dictation workflow works in OSX. You will need OSX 10.7 (Lion) or later and Java 7 update 45 or later. We recommend OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and the latest version of Java 7 (currently update 67).

Regards,

Justin

trencus

Post by trencus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:38 am

I have latest version of mavericks and Java 7. The dictation workflow does quite work. The Java plug-in appears and I can see the dication buttons. When I click on the red circle, an error appears saying that the microphone is being used by another application (to my knowledge it isn't). Nothing can be recorded. Do you have a way to fix this?

I have checked that the microhpone is responding properly in Settings>Sound.

Thanks
Dr Rencus

justin

Post by justin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Dr. Rencus,

I can't reproduce this problem in Mavericks. It sounds like you have another application using the Mic (or that OSX thinks it is). Have you rebooted? Also, if you're using virtualization software like VMWare Fusion or Parallels make sure that the Mic is "disconnected" from that environment.

Regards,

Justin

trencus

Post by trencus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 am

Nothing else is running. No other virtual environments are installed. Both mavericks and Java were clean installs. Maybe it would help if I sent you a screenshot of the error.

trencus

Post by trencus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:18 am

I'll also try rebooting. A reboot has not occured since installing Java.

justin

Post by justin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Dr. Rencus,

I tried this out on a test machine running OSX Mavericks with Java 7 update 67 and I was able to successfully dictate using an external microphone. I don't believe there is any general issue with Mavericks or Java 7u67.

From the error message you provided it states that it "could not open any audio device for input at 22050.0 Hz". From that message, and the above test, I suspect that the issue is with your microphone (or it's integration with Mavericks). You might want to check with the manufacturer of that mic to see if there are any software updates available and if they offer input at 22050 Hz. I presume they do because you stated it worked previously.

You can display the Java audio devices that are detected by running the applet at the following link: http://www.javasonics.com/support/show_devices.html

Note: You will need to add "http://www.javasonics.com" to your exception site list in your Java security panel first (see attached).

Regards,

Justin
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 9.45.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 9.45.19 AM.png (62.68 KiB) Viewed 14356 times

trencus

Post by trencus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 am

Can you give me a few more details about the external microphone you had success with? Was it a USB or a headphone jack microphone? Did it have it's own Mac OS driver software? Also, any luck in using a Mac's internal microphone for Java dicatation workflow? I am still having no luck.

Dr Rencus